Unbeknownst to many, Florida does in fact have a winter season. Although winters in the Clearwater and Tampa areas are typically a lot milder than most, Floridians still have the challenge of implementing energy-saving techniques during the colder months. As the temperature drops, Floridians look for ways to stay comfortable inside without breaking the bank. Controlling your energy usage does not need to be complicated. Here are some top Florida winter energy-saving home tips:
- Home Energy Saver (HES) was created for the US Department of Energy and can help you evaluate your home’s energy use and find simple solutions to energy savings. HES recommends energy-saving upgrades that are appropriate to the home and make sense for the home’s climate and local energy prices.
- How is your home’s insulation? It may be beneficial to have a professional evaluate your attic and roof insulation. Although this tip could be costly, it would have a profound effect on energy savings if done properly.
- Update your thermostat settings so use as little energy as possible to keep your home comfortable. Set your temperatures back further than normal, but keep the setting on heat. Consider upgrading to a programmable Wi-Fi thermostat to take all of the guesswork out of keeping your energy savings.
- The right window treatments can help you save on energy. According to the U.S. Department of Energy, windows account for approximately 30% of heat loss in a home during cold weather. Thermal, energy-efficient curtains can help reduce your electric bill.
- Use ceiling fans to increase cooling comfort throughout your house.
- Replace your air filter frequently. A clean air filter optimizes proper flow, helping your system work more efficiently.
- Heating maintenance is key! Keep your system at peak performance throughout the winter months and year-round by arranging for a professional to maintain your system yearly/seasonally. Experienced HVAC technicians will also make sure your heater is ready for winter to help you avoid higher energy bills and larger breakdowns.
Controlling your energy usage in Florida during the winter is easier than you think. By implementing some or all of the above energy-efficient tips, you can conserve energy while lowering your energy bills. Let Mason AC help optimize your energy savings this winter season.
We have a great deal of experience and are confident we can take care of any problem you may have. We pride ourselves on our ability to accurately diagnose any problem you may have and correctly repair or replace the unit at a fair price. For questions or concerns about your HVAC system, be sure to call our trained professionals Mason Air Conditioning & Heating at 727-433-9853 or schedule an appointment online and receive your service call completely FREE today.